One-inch model with fraction/decimal equivalents printed on the frame
Your Brown & Sharpe hand held Model 1 micrometer is manufactured in Switzerland. This is a professional's micrometer. It's a highly respected old stand-by of superior workmanship. You won't be able to find anything better.
The graduations are straight line (you remember those slant lines? Very few people liked them so now they're only available by request).The spindle's carbide face has a slight bevel to minimize the possibility of chipping. A convertible thimble lets you switch between a friction thimble or static "feel" thimble. 1-2" models and larger have plastic heat shields on the frame to minimize metal expansion.
The measuring faces are carbide, as expected. The face on the movable spindle has a slight chamfer on the edge which will help keep the anvil from chipping. If you need a perfectly sharp edge for your application, then this micrometer is not for you.
Each micrometer comes with a manufacturer's certificate of calibration showing actual data.
One more thing: don't be fooled... not all B&S micrometers are Swiss made. You can probably find pretty cheap B&S micrometers made in USA. They're not the same quality, sad to say. Those shown on this page, are the ones worth buying.
Repair service and replacement parts, when needed, are readily available. We've been repairing these for nearly 50 years and we know that they're the best.
The larger models have plastic heat shields to protect the frame from expanding.
- Model 599-1-32 ... 0-1" without micrometer standard* ... $180.00 ... order now
- Model 599-2-32 ... 1-2" with 1" micrometer standard ... $227.00 ... order now
- Model 599-3-32 ... 2-3" with 2" micrometer standard ... $242.00 ... order now
- Model 599-1-37 ... (0.002 mm) 0-25 without standard* ... $183.00 ... order now
- Model 599-2-37 ... (0.002 mm) 25-50 with standard ... $216.00 ... order now
* Micrometer standards are used to zero-set the micrometer and, for that reason, you don't need one for the 0-1" model (0-25 mm). You will be able to set it to zero with the anvils closed.
For calibration, additional measuring rods and micrometer standards are shown on page 7
Optional storage cases
The above micrometers are delivered in simple cardboard boxes. Wooden storage boxes are currently unavailable.